Saturday, September 7, 2013

Why We're Bad at Math

At the very beginning, we're taught that 1 plus 1 equals 2. Then, it's taken a step further, with 2 plus 2 equals 4. After that comes subtraction, 1 minus 1 equals 0. And much later, multiplication and division. Seems easy, right? Despite this, the United States ranks 32nd in math proficiency. Why?

It's become quite commonplace for adults to say "Oh, I was never good at math," or "Math was always hard for me." Often, teachers (aside from those that teach math) will say "Now you know why I'm not a math teacher." At least for today's generation, this may be the root of the problem. If even our teachers, the people who mentor us in our academic life, don't take math seriously, why should we? Just like our teachers, we figure, "Well I'm just better at this subject." Sometimes, it's even taken as far as, "Well I'm good at this sport, why should I be concerned about school?" While it's great to have one talent, it is important to be well rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment